For those who wish to grow along spiritual lines, understanding energy system basics is a great help. What are chakras and how might they be opened? Chakras are energy centers which distribute “chi” or “prana”, that is life force energy, to our individual organs and organ systems. They actually work by harmonics in a very complicated way. There are seven major chakras.
- The Root Chakra (Muladhara or support)- This chakra is located at the perineum in a male and the vagina in a female. It deals with your groundedness to earth. The frequency is Red.
- The Pelvic Chakra (Svadisthana or abode of the vital force)- The frequency is orange. This center deals with procreation, sexual desire, creativity and friendliness.
- The Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipuraka or Jewel of the Navel)-The frequency is yellow. This center distributes chi to all the internal organs. It is the center of personal power, and of ego.
- The Heart Chakra (Anahatha- or Unbeaten) this is located above the heart on the left and another over the right chest, but both work together. The frequency is green. At this level, you are feeling love and compassion, and beginning to grow toward the spiritual.
- The Throat Chakra (Visshudha-Pure)- The frequency is blue. At this level, you desire to speak openly and truthfully, you find your voice.
- The Brow Chakra, (Ajna, or Command) – The frequency is indigo. As you live more for others than yourself, the 3rd eye opens. This is aligned with dreams, visions, and clairvoyance. To look through your 3rd eye, close your eyes, and cross your eyes and move them upwards. You should see an elliptical or eye shape, with a center that is darker and can seem to be filled with stars.
- The Crown Chakra (Sahasrara or thousand petaled lotus)- Once this chakra opens, you will find yourself to be far less important. You may begin working to help others in many creative ways. ESP becomes sharper, if you practice and meditate frequently.
Meditation and Motivation
With meditation and reading inspirational readings, your chakras will begin to open in a natural way. Your Kundalini or the energy center at the base of the spine, sends its energy upward through each chakra and it awakens each one, and adjusts their harmonics. There are a number of ways that a student can help the balancing of each chakra. As we grow through childhood and into adulthood, our chakras are affected by our upbringing and emotional balance. Negative events and a negative upbringing can leave us with chakras that are almost closed and out of balance. Poor self-esteem, a feeling of worthlessness, and other traumas can take their toll.
One way to balance your chakras is by simply asking in prayer and meditation. Remember- prayer is asking, praising, thanking and stilling of our minds so that we can hear the answers. In the book of Sonia Choquette, she shares with her readers how she used the Lord’s Prayer in tuning the seven main chakras and connects with the spirit.
If you are Christian, the Lord’s Prayer may be used or you can speak from the heart in your own words, and ask our Father and our Universal Creator to be with you as you learn about your energy system, that you may experience how it feels. You may find a prayer or chant from your own faith tradition that works best for you.
The technique that most people used to get the energy channels flowing using the Lord’s prayer is that they reflect on the phrases and associate it with the parts of the body where the chakras are located and ultimately progress to connect with the spirit.
Another way is by toning. Toning is the art of vibratory vocal sounds that affect each chakra. I still ask for my Spirit Guides to assist me in this. Each chakra responds to a frequency of sound. Start at the root and sing each tone as clearly as possible “e” as in red, or the note C, the pelvic chakra is”o”as in Home, or the note D, the solar plexus is “aah-ooo-mmm” or the note E, the heart is “ah”, note F#, the throat chakra is “U” as in blue, or G#, the 3rd eye is OM as in home, or the note high A, and the crown is “E” as in bee, or the note high B.
Do this while visualizing each chakra opening like the petals of a flower. If you suspect serious blockages, it may be helpful to have energy work or breath work by a holistic practitioner. Remember that it is always correct to ask permission before beginning. Your Spirit Guides can assist you as you grow, and learn and become. Namaste’.